To kick off our favourite season, summer of course, I’ve decided to do a little tutorial on my favourite go-to hairstyle: Beach Waves. You know those envious locks a-la Victoria’s Secret and Sports Illustrated. That perfect loose, model-off-duty, bouncy wave that looks so effortless- making you believe that maybe they just rolled out of bed that way and straight into the water. Yes, we all hate them, those Dior sunglasses wearing bitches, but in real life we at least know it doesn’t actually work like that!
Known for my own beachy blonde locks, it’s a look I think I’ve perfected pretty well- and I’ll be honest, it’s not always quite effortless as it seems. I’ve learned a few tricks of the trade along the way; so, I’m sharing my how-to with you today!
1) If your hair is freshly washed it’s good to add a little lightweight mousse before you blow-dry to give your hair a bit of a more rough texture.
2) When curling I curl in 4 parallel sections starting from the bottom of my head to the top. A key trick is when you curl alternate between curling around the barrel with the clamp and also just using your finger to twist the strand around the barrel. This alternates the amount of curl each piece has which in turn looks more natural. You can also alternate size of the barrel switching from a 1/2 or 3/4 inch barrel to a 1 inch barrel.
** Important tip #1: Always curl away from your face, the way you’d imagine if the wind was blowing in your face and your hair back.
** Important tip #2: Leave the bottom inch of your hair out of the curling iron to prevent the Shirley Temple effect and give it the more unfinished effortless look.
3) To get that perfect root lift for the front pieces of your hair at the part I hold the curling iron under the piece of hair closest to the part for a couple seconds to help give it that lifted S shaped bump.
4) Use a comb to brush it all out and break up any curls.
5) Use some beach effect texture spray and rub it through your hair to make it piecey and then a tiny bit of light hairspray to hold it in place.
6) If you are going for the really effortless beachy Model off duty look never curl your hair right before you are going out. It always looks most natural after falling out for at least an hour or two. The bottom photo is right after curling, the top photo is 4 or 5 hours later. That’s the difference.